Thursday, December 17, 2009

Have a ZOOPER day :)

The Onion is the greatest.... EVER.

After reading the chapter from Rabin's book that was assigned to us I felt completely dull because I could not think of a great example in which pop culture has served as a foundation for great lessons I have learned throughout my life. I never worked in a Blockbuster... nor did I have a crazy obsession growing up that lead me to what I want to do today. Okay... I WAS obsessed with *//\\//sync but that is besides the point... ERRONEOUS! (Okay I love Wedding Crashers, too)

I really thought long and hard about this and I think the best example I can provide for my fans out there in the blogging world would be my love for animals and how that began. Living in Columbus I was given numerous opportunities to visit what is now the #1 zoo in the United States... the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium. My parents thought it was important for me to develop an interest at a young age and the zoo was not far from where I lived. In terms of pop culture, Jack Hannah drew me in. Jack was constantly doing something crazy with an animal on the Jay Leno or Today show and served as an excellent representative for the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium. I looked up to him quite a bit when I was younger thinking about how great it must be to go to work in a ZOO everyday and help save the lives of thousands of animals. Anyways, the zoo was a place I visited often and loved to hang out at on the weekends (no pun intended) so it is no surprise that I have had a zoo membership since I was 1 and I am now 22.

The zoo has been there for me through thick and thin (no pun intended there, either... hahaha) but really. I have had a lot of family problems throughout my life and ended up going in the wrong direction and hanging out with the wrong people. My parents immediately picked up on my troublesome behavior and decided I needed a hobby. The following summer (the summer before my 6th grade debut) I was accepted to be a ZooAide, which is a teenage volunteer. My duties included working the Wings of Flight shows, monitoring the Petting Zoo, and most importantly, giving presentations which was my favorite. The zoo helped me become the outgoing, charasmatic person I am today by giving me an opportunity to shine at something I loved, which was talking about animals.

I know its a long shot but it's the best I could come up with. Long live Jack Hannah!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a pretty inspirational story, Lacey! And, you know, if you omitted all the qualifiers and apologies in this post, you'd have a pretty god core to work with. You could detail, for example, those "bad kids" you were hanging out with, what, in 5th grade? There's really something called a "6th Grade Debut?" That sounds detail-worthy as well! I'm feeling a theme here along the lines of "animals made me more human" or something.
    And yes, long live Jack Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a "good core," not necessarily a "god core" (but who knows?) :P

    ReplyDelete